Monday, September 17, 2012

For A Good Cause

Bullfighting is a sadistic spectacle and must be made obsolete.

In 2009, I participated in a PETA anti-bullfighting protest in London, and although I wasn't comfortable with taking my clothes off for the cause, I contributed the best way I could - by being there and taking photos.

It was a great experience, and a rather striking one.  A group of well organized and  solemn young people undressed, covered themselves with faux blood, and silently proceeded to lie down on the pavement at the Spanish Embassy square in the middle of the rushing city, held protesting signs, and chanted "Bulls die bloody death in Pamplona".  Withing mere minutes, photographers and news TV crews mobbed the scene, and passers by slowed down to see what was happening.  It all took about an hour, and then the Police came to scatter the activists.  

More than 3 years later, a moviemaker from England contacted me and asked to use my footage of the protest for a documentary he's putting together.  Needless to say, I am very happy to oblige.

The running of the bulls continues to this very day and such protests can't stop them entirely.  However, they spread awareness, and this is exactly how things change - from within, sparkled by ideologies that makes us better.

The following photos don't pretend for artistic, only for reporting qualities.  Please take a minute to inform yourselves on the topic and do whatever is in your power to stop cruelty towards animals.






No comments:

Post a Comment